Monday, April 23, 2007

My unconventional thoughts about games and art


""avant game" as "before the game.""

As I understand it, and I am not saying I have understood it right, so is Jane McGonigal studying the phenomena that are before the game is played or made.

avant game is a made up word that is put to describe Jane's research in digital game studies with a twist of playfulness. The phrase avant game points to the contemporary play works as well as the philosophy of game design she is studying. This game is not so much a game that is a study.

I Love Bees is a kind of game that Jane has developed. But I really can't figure it out. But after reading TheFQA - Netninja Bee Wiki I feel so much better. As in the question about whether all the people are insane. I am as the answer, I don't believe there is a real game. It is all study, or it is me who is insane. Could be that to. I am not really sure.

Well, I guess you could call it a game. But I would rather more call it a study or a challenge. Maybe a quest to seek the truth. To collect information and to find out what has happen to a blog is a quest, not a game.

Implementation

I get the feeling of SKIN by Shelley Jackson when I see the work of
by Nick Montfort and Scott Rettberg. It is all about making a statement and to see how many people will fallow and obey their will. It is the same as the roundabout dogs and flash mobs. Think of something stupid and extreme to do and see how many that are willing to follow.

But it is all about how you see it and what kind of experience you have of it. I do think it is quite cool that people are doing this. But there are so many of them now, they have lost there aura so to speak.

/cecilia

No comments: